Some of us need our dose of coffee in the morning to perk us up. Others, need that boost of sugar to carry on with their day. While these could be our normal daily fare, it does not mean that our pets should eat the same things too.
In today’s Pet Care Tips, let us share with you some of the things that your dogs should not be eating!
Too much sugar can lead to health problems such as obesity, dental problems and diabetes.
Trimmed fat which you get from cooked or uncooked meat can cause inflammation of the pancreas – an organ that produces insulin and enzymes for digestion.
It might cause them to choke.
The effects from consuming alcohol in humans are the same for dogs too. Too much alcohol can be fatal.
ONIONS, GARLIC and CHIVES
It can cause gastrointestinal irritation and possibly destroy red blood cells causing your dog to become anaemic.
They contain persin which is a kind of fungicidal toxic which is harmful if consumed.
A dog can become sick if he consumes just a handful of these nuts raw or roasted.
When consumed, it can cause severe pain to the dog as the dough will swell and stretch the dog’s abdomen.
COFFEE, TEA and OTHER CAFFEINE
These can be fatal to dogs and there’s no remedy for it.
You might be a fan of chocolates but remember not everyone likes them or could even consume them. Chocolates contain a toxic agent called theobromine which causes vomitting and diarrheoa. In severe cases, it could lead to abnormal heart rhythms and even death.
PERSIMMONS, PEACHES and PLUMS
Seeds from the persimmon fruit can cause inflammation or obstruction of the small intestine whereas peach plum pits contain cyanide which is a chemical that is poisonous to humans and animals.
Milk and other dairy products can cause pain to the digestive system, diarrheoa as well as food allergies.
RAW EGGS, MEAT and FISH
They contain bacteria which could lead to food poisoning. For raw eggs, there is a type of enzyme that interferes with the absorption of a particular vitamin which can cause skin and coat problems.
GRAPES, NUTS and RAISINS
There is possibility that it can cause kidney failure in dogs.
A kind of sweetener found in candies and some baked products which could cause your dog’s blood sugar level to decrease and possibly result in liver failure.
We hope that you have found the information useful.
So, the next time you think of feeding your dog leftovers from your dinner, think again! (:
For a collection of our previous Pet Care Tips, click here.